• Congratulations to the Year 7 Boys Cricket team who won their Division competition and will participate in the NMR competition later this year in October. This is a wonderful achievement considering that the students participated just two weeks into their secondary schooling. Thanks to Mr Wood for being a sensational coach – I am sure the boys really appreciated your coaching abilities.
• Congratulations to Kane Marriot who finished 2nd in the U14 Men 1500m run and 3rd in the U15 Men’s 3000m run at the Victorian Track & Field Championships.
• Well done to Nicolas Bannan who finished 1st in the Boys U13 1500m walk, 3rd in Boys U13 Javelin and 11th in Boys U13 80m Hurdles at the NMR Track & Field Little Athletics competition.
• Well done to the Intermediate Girls Cricket team who represented the College at the NMR competition. The girls managed to win one of their two games which results in them finishing 2nd in the Region, great work girls! Thanks to Mr Bourke for coaching these girls on the day.
• Congratulations to Elsie Clifford who is now the State Champion for U15 Women’s Pole Vault after competing at the Victorian Track & Field Championships on 24 of February. She managed to increase her personal best by 15cm (2.80cm).
• Congratulations to Jaryd Clifford who is the State Champion for U20 Men’s 1500m run with a time of 3:56.53 at the Victorian Track & Field Championships.
• Well done to Charlotte Holmes who finished 1st in the Girls U14 1500m walk and 2nd in the Girls U14 1500m run at the NMR Track & Field Little Athletics competition.
• Kelsea Bannan should be congratulated for finishing 2nd in the Girls U14 1500m walk, 3rd in Girls U14 Javelin, 4th in Girls U14 Shotput and 7th in Girls U14 1500m run at the NMR Track & Field Little Athletics competition.
• A great effort by Jemma Fairman who finished 7th in the Girls U14 400m run at the NMR Track & Field Little Athletics competition.
• Congratulations to the Senior Boys Cricket team who won their Division competition. Here’s a report from Mr Wood, their superstar coach.
On Wednesday 21st February, our Senior Boys Cricket team contested the district final against Montmorency. The two teams played off in a 25 over game at Lower Eltham. Bowling first, the St Helena boys restricted Montmorency to 8/96 off their 25 overs. Jacob Eckersall was the pick of the bowlers with 3 for 16, whilst Riley O’Donnell, Lachlan Agnew, Jason Dhillon, Luke Sirianni and Panny Andrews all chipped in with a wicket each. The highlight of the innings was Luke’s superb one-handed catch. The run chase was very exciting, with the boys not hitting the winning runs until the third last ball. Luke Sirianni anchored the innings with 37, with solid contributions from Joel Whitcher (23), Riley O’Donnell (18no) and Dan Hooper (15). The boys are to be congratulated for playing with great skill and outstanding sportsmanship throughout the day.
Due to academic commitments, the boys have decided to forfeit their place in the Northern Zone finals. As a result, Wednesday was the last time the year 12 boys will represent their school at cricket. Therefore, I’d like to take this opportunity to thank each of the year 12 boys for their contribution, with a particular mention of Luke Sirianni, Riley O’Donnell, Dan Hooper and Lachlan Agnew. These four boys have all represented the school in cricket since they were in year 7 (making the state final in 2013). Your loyal contribution to the school team throughout this period has been much appreciated.
• Thanks to all students who participate in the Senior Round Robin on the 21st of February. St Helena were represented at the Volleyball, Basketball, Tennis and Cricket competitions. I would like to congratulate the students on the way they conducted themselves.
Do you want to recognise a student? Please send results, information or links to Mr Bowes at email@example.com to have it featured on the website.
Mr Shaun Bowes
Sport Coordinator (Inter-school Sport)